Small historic towns

A piece of the austrian history.

Baden bei Wien

Baden bei Wien - Town of Roses and Horticulture

First mentioned in the year 869 under the name »Padun«, Baden was given town status by Emperor Friedrich III in 1480. Viticulture and spa baths are the most important pillars of the town’s economy.Turkish invasions and major fires destroyed the centre of town that was to be rebuilt completely in the Biedermeier period. Architecture, art and horticulture blossomed during this era. Architects, such as Carl von Moreau, Josef Kornhäusel and Otto Wagner left their marks on the town with their noble mansions, palaces or beautiful squares

Visit city

Bad Ischl

Bad Ischl - Town of Roses and Horticulture

Emperor Franz Joseph and Empress »Sisi« – they are inseparably linked with Bad Ischl. In 1823, Austria’s first saltwater spa was opened and only four years later princess Sophie and Franz Joseph’s mother came for a health treatment to Bad Ischl.In the years to come, four »salt« princes were born. Franz Joseph’s first visit to Bad Ischl was in 1849. Here he celebrated his engagement to his later wife, Elisabeth. At the turn of the century, many famous personalities, aristocrats, heads of state and artists came to Ischl, including Franz Léhar who composed 24 operettas in this town. Bad Ischl received health resort status in 1929.

Visit city

Bad Radkersburg

Bad Radkersburg - Under the Rules of Old Trade Guilds

Bad Radkersburg was first mentioned in an official document in 1182. In 1299, the important trade centre was given town status and became a fortress against Hungary.

Its economic prosperity was the basis for many privileges, such as the »right of entrepot« or the »pre-emptive wine selling right«. In the 16th century, as the Ottoman threat increased, the fortification was strengthened by master builders from Upper Italy.

When the borders were redefined after the collapse of the monarchy, Bad Radkersburg lost more than 50% of its municipal area. Since 1970, the town has been enjoying an economic upturn thanks to its mineral and thermal springs. In 1978, Bad Radkersburg was the only Austrian town to win the European gold medal for monument protection.

Visit city

Bludenz

Bludenz

Situated at the heart of five Alpine valleys, the picturesque Alpine town of Bludenz enchants visitors with its delightful historic town centre and Mediterranean arcades, with the enticing smell of chocolate wafting through the air.

Visit city

Braunau

Braunau

Welcome to the multi-faceted, more than 750 year old culture and trade town of Braunau am Inn.
Take a stroll around the beautiful and very well preserved historic old town, browse around its busy shops or enjoy a relaxing drink or meal in one of the numerous cafés or restaurants in the spacious Stadtplatz Square with its Mediterranean flair.

Top off your visit with a trip into the great outdoors – Braunau is situated amidst the Lower Inn European Nature Reserve and is home to many rare and exotic animals.

Visit city

Bruck an der Mur

die historische Stadt im Herzen der Steiermark

Eine historisch bedeutende Altstadt inmitten der steirischen Bergwelt – das ist Bruck an der Mur.
Am Schnittpunkt von Mur und Mürz befindet sich das 1263 von König Ottokar Przemysl planmäßig angelegte Stadtzentrum mit dem gotischen Kornmesserhaus.
Dieses, nach dem wohlhabenden Bürger Pankraz Kornmess benannte und 1405 im venezianischen Stil neu errichtete Haus ist einer der wichtigsten gotischen Profanbauten Österreichs.

Stadt besuchen

Gmunden

Gmunden - At the Lake Source of the River Traun

A charming town, with southern flair, a historical town centre with splendid town houses and facades dating from the 15th century to the 18th century. Gmunden is the former salt trading capital, with its renaissance town-hall which has the only ceramic chimes in Austria. The true emblem of the town is the "Seeschloss Ort", situated on a small island and purchased by archduke Johann Salvator Toscana, which was related to the House Habsburg-Lothringen.

Visit city

Hallein

Hallein

This town on the Salzach River boasts a beautiful medieval town centre (Salzach/Inn style) with impressive town houses, spacious squares and charming alleyways - you won’t be surprised to learn that Hallein’s entire historic old town has been classified as a historic monument.

Visit city

Judenburg

Judenburg - Venetian Charm and Styrian Merchants

Prehistoric finds, such as the famous Strettweg cult chariot (600 BC), bear witness to the ancient settlement and farming region. In the early 12th century, »mercatus judenpurch« developed into the oldest Styrian trading settlement.

Raised to town status in 1224, the trading settlement and the heraldic town grew together in the 13th and 14th century to form a single town enclosed by a town wall. The town’s landmark today is the four-storey 75 m high tower.

Visit city

Kufstein

Das Kufsteinerland mit seinen acht gastfreundlichen Dörfern und der geschichtsträchtigen Festungsstadt Kufstein liegt am Eingang des Inntals, am Fuße des mächtigen Kaisergebirges. Es bildet das einladende Tor zum starken Land Tirol. Ob Natur, Kultur oder Gesundheit, die idyllische Region bietet alles, was man sich nur wünschen kann.

Stadt besuchen

Lienz

Lienz - A Little Bit of Italy between Drau and Isel

A lively settlement since the Bronze Age in the valley floor between the Drau and Isel rivers. Excavations of the Roman town of Aguntum (A.D. 50–450). The original settlement was expanded by the Counts of Gorizia in the 11th and 12th centuries who built, among others, Bruck Castle and the Carmelite monastery.The Lienz Count Heinrich went down in posterity with his poems in the »Große manessische Liederhandschrift«, as did the Lienz painters Albin Egger-Lienz and Franz von Defregger. The Liebburg fortress was built in the 17th century and is the town’s landmark.

Visit city

Mariazell

Mariazell - ... a gift from heaven

Around the year 1200, Margrave Henry Vladislav of Moravia built the first church and dedicated it to the “Mater Gentium Slavorum” in gratitude for his recovery from a severe illness. About 1370, King Ludwig the Great from Hungary endowed the Mariazell Chapel of Grace that still exists today, to give thanks for his glorious victory over his Eastern enemies of the faith. Thus, Mariazell and the “Magna Hungarorum Domina” also became the most famous pilgrimage place for the Hungarian people.

Visit city

Radstadt

Radstadt A Fine Old Town in the Mountains

»Rastat« was first mentioned in documents in 1074. Due to its strategically important location on the old Roman road from Aquileia over the Radstadt Tauern to Juvavum (Salzburg), Radstadt received town rights under Archbishop Rudolf von Hohenegg in 1289.

In the deep Middle Ages Radstadt became a booming centre of trade. During the time of the Peasant Wars, the town held out under Michl Gaismair (1525/26) against siege by 5,000 peasants, and in 1527 received the Great Letter of Freedom from Archbishop Matthäus Lang. After numerous occupations by Austrian, Bavarian and French troops, the town became part of the Austrian Crown land of Salzburg.

Visit city

Schärding

Schärding - Town of the Guilds

»Scardigna« was first mentioned in documents in 804; in the course of the 9th and 10th centuries, Schärding became the centre of the county of Vornbach-Neuburg. The Counts of Andech followed in 1160 and the Bavarian Wittelsbachs in 1248.

In addition to its economic importance as a trading town on the river Inn, there was soon a great deal of early political activity as well. The Bavarian dukes, above all Ludwig the Bearded (in the 15th century), built Schärding into a strong fortification.

The town suffered severe damage through devastating fires (in 1724 and 1779), and French occupation (1809). After the Napoleonic Wars in 1816, the Innviertel region was again Austrian.

Visit city

Steyr

Around 980 the Ottakar margraves in Styria built today’s Lamberg Castle. The settlement around the castle and the parish church are first mentioned in official documents in 985. In 1186, the town fell into the ownership of the Babenbergers.

In 1287, Steyr was granted its town charter and extensive trading rights by Duke Albrecht I. An economic crisis brought about by fires in the town and other changes was resolved in 1864 by Josef Werndl’s mass production of breech-loading rifles, which made Steyr the »armourer of Europe«.

The tradition of iron processing continues today in automotive development and production.

Visit city