Prehistoric finds, such as the famous Strettweg cult chariot (600 BC), bear witness to the ancient settlement and farming region. In the early 12th century, »mercatus judenpurch« developed into the oldest Styrian trading settlement.
Raised to town status in 1224, the trading settlement and the heraldic town grew together in the 13th and 14th century to form a single town enclosed by a town wall. The town’s landmark today is the four-storey 75 m high tower.
In the 14th and 15th century, Judenburg held important privileges (e.g. storage right, right to mint the Judenburg gulden, the first gold coin of Austria). Known as the »capital of Upper Styria« Judenburg enjoyed its heydays during this period.