Gmunden has one of its most popular attractions back! In June 2014 the new cable car up the local mountain of Gmunden goes into operation. At this time the pause of about 3 1/2 years without a cable car comes to an end!
But not only the cable car - which is from now on a barrier free cable car - also a few more attractions will open their doors in June: Maybe the most important is the new summer toboggan run, which is - with 1,4km - one of the longest ones in Austria. Furthermore the Restaurant "Grünbergalm" directly at the top station got renewed and a short barrier free footpath round the top of Grünberg got built. Though these attractions are also only a small insight in the new concept of the recreation area Grünberg and further information you get directly at the tourism office via the contact below. Another possibility would be to take a view at www.gruenberg.info.
Today's town hall is in fact the third in Gmundens history. It is located on the town square which in former times was called "lower market". Delightful arcades and beautiful stucco decoration (1756) still ornament the town hall that was once the centre of the salt trade. Above the second floor is the town's coat of arms displaying the major characteristics of Gmunden such as a fish, a salt container, a mountain, a green lake - leave and a salt boat: Right above there is a clock flanked by the red - white - red shield and the coat of arms of Upper Austria and the Imperial double eagle.
Austria's only ceramic chime was produced in 1957 in the world famous porcelain manufacture of Meissen and was in use for the first time in 1958. The bells are painted in the traditional green and white pattern of the Gmunden ceramics.
Ceramics in Gmunden
Gmunden is looking back to a 500 - year tradition of ceramics production. Every year in the month of August Gmunden is the location of an international pottery market. The Gmunden Ceramics Manufacture is world famous and its factory sales rooms are open from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. and on Saturday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
The K&K ceramics is located in the town centre too. Two artists, Mascha Kosareva and Martin Kunze work on art ceramics and offer workshops. Opening times: Mon - Sat from approx. 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., May-Sept. additionally Sun.
2 separate walks give insight into the cultural-historical and geological development of the region. Detailed information about the development of the Alps, the effects of the ice-age on the area of early settlements at the northern end of the Lake Traunsee, the importance of natural resources as well as the development of the town of Gmunden is given on boards. Part 1 starts at Seebahnhof, starting poin of part 2 is the town hall square.
In this gothic building that displays many sumptuous details Emperor Maximilian I. concluded his marriage treaty with Bianca Sforza of Milan in 1493 and the first East-West-Treaty with Tsar Wassilij Iwanowitsch III. in 1514. Today the building houses the local K-Hof museum, galleries as well as a function room.
The Parish Church
The oldest parts of the 3 naves go back to the time of the foundation of the parish (1301). The most famous item of the Gmunden parish church is the high altar displaying the Tree Magi sculptured by Thomas Schwanthaler (1678, the only altar with the Three Magi) which served as an example for many nativity scenes of the region. Towards the back of the left side-nave there is the Anna altar by Michael Zürn junior (1685). In the right side nave visitors can admire the altar "Poor Souls" with a stone relief as well as a Man of Sorrows by Bonaventura Schwanthaler. The Madonna above the right side entrance was made by Emilia Schleiß-Simandl (1947) out of a gratitude because the town of Gmunden suffered no damage during the Second World War. On the southern outside wall of the church (facing the lake) frescoes from the time around 1525 were discovered below two gothic arches during renovation works in 1946/47: Saint Christopher and the Last Judgement.
Is located on the Rinnholz Square and is Austria's only ceramic fountain. The statue shows a man carrying a lump of salt.
Land Castle Ort
The Land castle Ort was built by Count Herberstorff, a famous general during the peasant wars, in 1626. Today the building houses a school for foresters and a function hall with a sumptuous wooden ceiling. In the courtyard visitors can admire frescoes showing the coat of arms of the former owners of the castle and a beautiful wrought-iron rococo fountain.
Lake Castle Ort
The Lake Castle Ort was first mentioned in a document in 909. Some parts of the castle such as the tower above the entrance and some window - and door - vaults were built by Emperor Frederic III (1440 - 1493). The inner courtyard built in the form of a triangle displays enchanting arcades, a staircase in late Gothic style as well as a graffito dating from 1578 showing the floods of Lake Traunsee. After a devastating fire the castle was rebuilt in 1634. In the chapel, which is mainly in late-Gothic style, remnants of renaissance frescoes can be found. The strong water fortress used to be under administration of the imperial officer responsible for the salt-production region. In 1876 it was bought by Archduke Johann Salvator, son of the grand duke of Tuscany, who due to his marriage with an actress took the common name "Johann Orth". Today the Lake Castle Ort is the location of a popular TV-series, and many couples from all over the world come here to get married.
The villa was built in 1869 for Maria Antonietta of Sicily, Arch duchess of Tuscany, as an exile residence. Today the villa is part of the Congress Centre.
The Castle Weyer houses a gallery with Meissen porcelain.