Bad Radkersburg was first mentioned in an official document in 1182. In 1299, the important trade centre was given town status and became a fortress against Hungary.
Its economic prosperity was the basis for many privileges, such as the »right of entrepot« or the »pre-emptive wine selling right«. In the 16th century, as the Ottoman threat increased, the fortification was strengthened by master builders from Upper Italy.
When the borders were redefined after the collapse of the monarchy, Bad Radkersburg lost more than 50% of its municipal area. Since 1970, the town has been enjoying an economic upturn thanks to its mineral and thermal springs. In 1978, Bad Radkersburg was the only Austrian town to win the European gold medal for monument protection.